Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Why Can't We Be Friends?

With Christmas just around the corner, I have had a chance to look around and watch the people of this magnificent country go about their business with only the occasional wolf whistle at my stubbies and bum grab in a crowd.
What I have seen however is a tolerance of other religions not seen in New Zealand, or any of its close neighbours.
This was firstly seen in Kolkata, with the5.30am Muslim call to prayer a normal part of life in the vastly Hindu area. There were no complaints from the locals (that we heard anyway) about being woken up by a voice magnified through huge loudspeakers in a strange language. If this were to happen in Auckland, would we be OK with it?
The second significant instance of this tolerance was at the first temple we visited here in the Pink City. Inside this temple were Hindus, Muslims and Christians, all worshipping together in an odd song and dance ritual with everyone moving together and wandering around in front of and behind a raised altar, with a Hindu god (Ganesh I believe) sitting proudly on the platform. No one seemed to get in anyone's way, and everyone was content to pray and worship with other religions that may be stereotyped with negative connotations in little ol' New Zealand.
I admit, I was one to stereotype people that weren't of the same faith or skin colour as myself, but being here in India and seeing that actually everybody can get along has caused a 180 degree shift in my opinion. Catching myself debating the merits of both Islam and Buddhism in my head was a change that I was not expecting, but one that I am open to nonetheless.
Because I now know that we can all get along, all it takes is just a little tolerance.
Have a great Christmas everyone, and we will see you in the new year.
Hamish

No comments:

Post a Comment