Monday, December 30, 2013

A Tribute to Minnie

A wise man in William Shakespeare once said something along the lines of "its better to have loved and have lost than to never have loved at all" . . . Yesterday, after arriving in the surreal Goa, which does not feel like India at all, my little bubble of happiness completely and utterly burst. After a refreshing swim in the ocean I returned to our shack on the beach to enjoy my meal of kingfish and fries, blissfully unaware of the tragedy about to strike my heart.

I had dropped and lost my coveted Minnie Mouse necklace. Now to many of you this may seem rather silly, but to me I assure you, this is far from the case. Apart from the beautiful, aesthetically pleasing and unique nature of the necklace this piece of fashion held a place in my heart. Purchased on the busy streets of Kolkata in a two piece set, it was the one and only matching piece to Jonty Morreau's Micky Mouse necklace. It was the Bonnie to Jonty's Clyde, the Yin to his Yang, the pepper to his salt. Naturally we set out a full scale three man search party after being joined by the empathetic Chris Moses, alas our efforts were fruitless, much to Mr Jordan's smug delight.

I think this has had a devastating effect on group morale, but I also think all we can do from here is grow and learn to all take better care of our Minnie Mouse necklaces. We must appreciate them whilst they are still around our necks because they will not be there forever (they can easily become lost somewhere on a beach in Goa)

I must live with this loss. At least until I can find another one of a kind Minnie Mouse necklace. I am resigned to living in regret until that day.

Clearly Mr Shakespeare never loved like I did.

Tim 'the lonely heart' Burns

P.S.- Karaoke night was possibly the greatest night ever.

1 comment: