Friday, December 27, 2013

Where is the Love?

Christmas day for me started just the same as Hugo's and Alex's, with the "Bald Santa", Mr Jordan, waking us up at 12am with his soothing Irish tones.

As we all scrambled for our letters from family, the feeling of excitement grew, as opening the small pieces of home was something we were all looking forward to.

With spending my high school life at boarding school, homesickness was not a big deal for me, but secretly I was amping to read what my family had written especially for me on this very special day.
Thus, you readers can appreciate my utter disappointment when all that came out of that treasured envelope was a small Christmas card from my lovely mother telling me to have fun.

When my parents sent me away to boarding school all those years ago, I did have my doubts about how much they really loved me, but this lack of effort made me wonder if they would still live at the same address when I got home on the 4th January.

A trip down the train to see other members of the group soon lead to a mass of emotions inside me, as I watched Fletcher and others pull essays and photos from their bags with statements of love from family members (Will Boswell, you did a good job at that buddy), while I sat around trying to hide my tears of self pity.

Thankfully, later that day some of my prayers were answered, with Dad picking up the phone to answer my Christmas call. A spark of hope was ignited inside me, maybe they did have a small amount of affection for me after all! I was stoked with life at this point.

However the news got better, with Dad telling me that everyone had indeed written me letters, and I must of overlooked them. 

Alas, 15 hours too late, I too got to open the actual envelope. I too am loved, it turns out. 

In all seriousness though, opening the letters were a highlight of the trip, and just goes to show how important family is to all of us.

Hamish

No comments:

Post a Comment