Thursday, December 26, 2013

Saved by Christmas

 One of the cruel realities of this tour are the fines. For those at home that are unaware of this system, basically we are fined by other members of the group if we do/say something dumb. Common offences include being late, buying ridiculous items and, of course, inappropriate skuxing, possibly the worst offence in the book. Inappropriate skuxing fines are given for trying to chat up a person outside the group. Now, I'm a pretty law abiding guy. So far I've only been fined for forgetting my security pouch (which is fair enough) and for being bearded at the high commission and even Mr Skeen was fined for that. 
However, despite my efforts to avoid serious fining I found myself in a highly stressful situation last night whilst waiting for our boat to take us out onto the harbour. There I was, innocently minding my own business, when an Indian gentleman came over and asked me to play him a song on the guitar I was carrying for the boat ride. Naturally, seeing as I've never been one to turn down an eager audience, I obliged and plucked my way through a riff or two. After I was finished he said was very good and asked where I was from. I replied with a proud "New Zealand". 
Now what happened next was completely out of the blue. Something seemed to click in this Indian gentleman's head and he stepped aside in order to introduce me to his daughter who appeared in front of my eyes as if by magic. Now, to an external observer this moment would have appeared to be an act of inappropriate skuxing but I assure you I was as uncomfortable in this situation as my colleagues were jealous. As I made polite small talk my mind was racing with the prospect of fines. I glanced over my shoulder in horror to see some of my fellow tour members watching on with looks of disgust. After some of the longest minutes of my life someone called out that the boat was ready. I removed myself from the conversation and made my way over to the group, head hanging low, waiting for the call to come. Then all of a sudden, "Alright, who's going to fine him". A solitary tear ran down my cheek and I reached for my security pouch to pull out all of my cash, for surely the fine would be hefty. 
But at the last second, like a bolt of heroic lightning Mr Jordan swooped to the rescue, reminding my finer that no fines could be given out on Christmas. My tear of sadness became a tear of joy. My heart was filled with the joys of Christmas. The world was bright and happy again
And that's how I avoided an inappropriate skuxing fine on Christmas Day in Mumbai. It's going to be a while before I forget this Christmas! 

Gus

P.S. Happy birthday to my little brother Lachy! Have a good one cuz and there's a present coming your way when I return. I assure you it is of the highest quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment