Friday, December 27, 2013

Dhoom 3

There was much excitement on the trip when Mr Skeen announced that the
movie of the night was Dhoom 3 (with a H)... Now I don't know how in
the loop the people back in New Zealand are but this may have been the
biggest movie release of the year (as you would expect followed by the
Hobbit). As the lights dimmed and the locals began to shout at the
screen expectations were high.... and it lived up to all of them.

DHOOM 3 REVIEW
4.5/5 Stars

The good: An intense story sprinkled with genius plot twists, magic
boxes and flying rickshaws. Where bad western movies fall down is in
that they actually believe that they are good - Dhoom has accepted
that it is not the most realistic of movies and instead of trying to
be serious it has just gone the full way to insanity... just think
jumping 10m in the air off a motorbike punching someone who was
falling off a building and then landing back of the motorbike to
safely drive away. I guess some stunts we will never know how they did
it.

The bad: My personal biggest fault with this movie is that I in fact
do not speak Hindi. As you can imagine I feel I missed some minor plot
points. While I am certain that one of the cops was a comedic genius
the lack of English punchlines left me slightly lost on the joke. I
hope this feeling was somewhat mutual among fellow tour members.
However one must note that the movie did contain just enough random
English sentences sprinkled among the Hindi to allow for me to
understand the general jist.

Conclusion: Considering my biggest flaw in the movie was my own
failing I can confidently say that DHOOM3 is a Bollywood masterpiece
and I strongly recommend this movie to any who have a spare 3 hours to
go watch it. (if you were to remove slo-mo it would only be about
30min but hey thats the charm of the movie). English subtitles not
required.

Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment