Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My City

I didn't think I'd find a city I loved more than Varanasi, considered how much I enjoyed our experiences there. Fortunately, I have been blessed by the fact that I have found another city to fall in love with.

Jaipur is my kind of city; it's loud and chaotic, with cars swerving to avoid bikes at every turn, and men yelling their hellos across four lanes of traffic, genuinely excited to hear about you and your life. I have spent the last few days whizzing around the city, accompanied by Mr Jordan and Hugo, dancing and laughing with our loose rickshaw driver Shakir (although we spend the duration of our trip calling him Shakil). This crazy man likes nothing more than turning his speakers to full volume and blasting Bollywood tunes to the entire city of Jaipur, while smoking with one hand and weaving in and out of buses and cars far larger than his tiny rickshaw. I should point at that poor old Mr Jordan has had to cope with having two rather broad shouldered rowers squeezing him from either side, and still managed to love every life threatening minute. Well done sir!

Ben Toogood

No comments:

Post a Comment