Thursday, December 26, 2013

A very Indian Christmas

Christmas has always been the same for me. My extended family and I gather to share presents, food and laughter all the while enjoying the warmth of the Christchurch sun. In many ways, yesterday's Christmas could not have been more different. 
Leaving aside the setting of culture, food and weather, what was least similar for me was the people I spent the day with - many of whom I had only known for a year. A far cry from the tight-knit family group I was accustomed to.
We opened letters from parents at midnight, huddled in a large mass into two cramped Indian train carriages. For us, this was a chance to reconnect with home and to realise the value of those close to us. This had the potential to be a fairly emotional affair, and as I looked around my carriage I saw various people lost in thought, smiling, and quite possibly one or two tears. 

However as the rest of the day progressed I saw something else. I saw spirit and community at lunch at Leopolds. I saw guys comfort one another as we walked through a desperately poor slum in Colaba. I saw laughter at our secret santa choices. Most of all, I saw a group of 22 Grammar lads who for the past month have become my family, mates who have been prepared to stand alongside each other as we travelled through this unbelievable country. I'm incredibly proud when I see giant leaps in maturity and perspective from everyone here, and it's a privilege to be able to walk with them on this month long journey. This trip has been a humbling experience, as people have asked questions and said things which challenged many of the foundations on which I live. These people will then follow in the footsteps of past Grammar students and those who went on past India tours to go on and do extraordinary things. I'm convinced that if the group composition was any different, the trip would have struggled to become the experience that it has been for us - A time filled with reflection, challenging questions and a heck of a lot of laughter.This Christmas in Mumbai has shown me that.
 Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all following the blog.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment