Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Small Things

As bizarre as it may seem, I really can't make my mind up about this country. There are so many highs and so many lows that as soon as you choose one side, another point can be made for the latter.

There are so many things I love about India, like the $1 Cornettos, which have been absolute lifesavers when I've splashed out the day before and need to save money. I also love the 'Gung Ho' attitude of the drivers, who risk everyone's life in an attempt to save time, swerving in and out of lanes with complete randomness.

The people are a bit of a mixed bag, you can generally walk up to anyone and have a good conversation, totally on the spur of the moment, but they can make you quite claustrophobic, especially when they pester you to buy goods.

My biggest issue with India is the obvious gap between the wealthy and the poor, which can best be described by walking out of a slum in Mumbai and seeing a thirty storey building towering above it, only a hundred meters away.

As the days have slowly progressed, I've grow to appreciate the bad and the good of India, purely because it is India, and the people of this nation will go on either way.

- Ben Toogood

No comments:

Post a Comment