Sunday, February 16, 2014

Harison Manks

We have had the last three weeks to sit back and attempt to comprehend what we experienced. From the sights of the rich to the smell of poverty, India has opened my eyes (and nose) to some indescribable things; like they say, “You have to see it to believe it”.

 

Going into India I had my own expectations. There were the tales shared by those on the last tour, and there was the advice from people who had never been but somehow were experts, yet nothing could have prepared me for the month I spent away.

 

To try and articulate my thoughts was one of the hardest things I experienced throughout the entirety of the trip. Now, as I sit here in the sanctuary of my room, watching the Australian Open, I understand how much clearer my thoughts have become.

 

To say that India is in a sticky situation is an understatement, yet it will still be one of the most amazing places I will ever go. What gives India that extra bit of an edge over the rest of the world is its people.  I’m sure if you asked anyone who had been to India to tell you one reason to go to there it would be to experience what the people of India give you. From the stall vendors telling you just how high the quality of their goods are, to the never-ending smiles on the kids, the people of India are amazing.

 

If there is one lesson that I have learnt from this endeavour, as it cannot be simply called a trip, it is appreciation. Appreciation of what I have, of where I live, and appreciation that I don’t have it so bad after all. A moment that really hit this message home to me was when we walked through a slum in Mumbai and I was able to speak to one of the Magicians’ leaders alone. This small conversation with him had the most impact any conversation has had on me before. And the one thing that will always stay with me was his reply to my inquiry as to why the kids were always smiling; he simply said,

 

“They are not sad because they do not focus on what they don’t have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment