Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ben May

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.” – John F. Kennedy

 

It was over a year and a half ago that I applied to be part of the India Immersion Programme, but it feels just like yesterday.

 

I used this quote from President Kennedy in my application because I felt that India was going to be hard for me, but that I would come back to New Zealand a better person for it. That being immersed in India would cleanse me of my sins - just like the men who bathe in the Ganges.

 

I now feel this is not true. I’m not a better person, nor am I any worse of a person. The thing is I am not even a different person. I am still Ben May. I still have the ability to eat when I am hungry, sleep in a comfy bed, have the freedom to have fun with my friends and family, and learn academic and life skills in a supportive environment. I still fall over when trying to kick a soccer ball and often miss regardless. My views on money and politics remain unchanged, and my ‘trend setting’ sense of style remains. Now I just feel a greater appreciation for what I have.

 

An expectation I had about India was that I would instantly fall in love with Kolkata and the people who live there. There were some happy moments such as visiting the Mother Teresa home and going to Freeset. There were some happy people such as Sam at Blue Sky Café, and our ‘security guard’ at Hotel Emirates. But how can a city be named the “City of Joy” when the majority of the people that I saw looked sad, hungry and desperate?  Sure, we would see some smiling people and children laughing, but I also saw plenty of unhappy people, beggars with what looked like dead children, and kids without food.  It was not because of the people who live there, but I honestly struggled to fall in love with a city where so many people were struggling to survive.

 

Yet I will always remember India - whether it’s the different sights, colours, smells, food, or noises I experienced, or the people that I met. I think it was an amazing opportunity which I feel very fortunate to have taken part in.

 

And what did I learn?

 

India confirmed my belief that if you always want more you are never going to be happy with what you have.

 

I think we need to stop and think of our family, our friends, and even our pets, and picture a life without all of them. What use is your new TV if you have no one to watch it with?  What use is your rugby ball if you have no one to pass it to?

No comments:

Post a Comment